Wednesday, November 20, 2013

FIELD TRIP!!



After finishing up a rather easy going day at the House of Delegates session Mary and I decided that it would be nice to have an afternoon out in Indianapolis. We had kept pretty busy with the convention the last few days and hadn't really had a chance to even explore the Downtown Indy area yet.

Mary had spoke with the concierge prior to the delegation and got the low down on exactly what we should be doing with our time away from the convention. The first stop had to be the Eiteljorg Museum!
Enlace permanente de imagen incrustada

The museum is advertised as a museum dedicated to the art and works of the American Southwest with a particular focus on the Native Americans. This sounded like it would be right up my alley and I was really quite excited about the opportunity to see some midwest Native American pieces.

After only a few minutes in the museum I realized I would not be getting the Midwest Native American experience that I thought I was going to but I would be exposed to the private collection of Southwestern Native American inspired art from businessman Eiteljorg. It was still a great time at the museum. 

We went through all of the artwork, visited the soon to be Jingle Rail exhibit, saw exhibits about the different Native American tribes throughout the US by region, saw a giant totem pole, and even got a picture of my fellow delegate riding in the back of an Old Western Horse and Buggy! 

Enlace permanente de imagen incrustada
Ultimately the museum was an excellent decision on how to spend our off time in Indianapolis since it is really getting a little to chilly to just be strolling about without the proper outerwear. One of the unfortunate events was that the museum closed at 5. We only got there around 3:30 so we didn't have much time to explore the museum in great depth. I do feel like we got a pretty good understanding of what the museum had to offer though and we definitely hit the main attractions. Plus I got this awesome picture of my co-delegate!

Following our trip to the museum we headed over to my hotel so that I could grab a phone charger and we could grab a quick drink. We actually still had a little bit of time to kill so why not have a glass of wine right? While we sat and just relaxed from the last few days I worked on making sure that the twitter account was up-to-date and I helped Mary get use to working with her brand new smartphone. Little things like setting up the voicemail, setting up her Twitter account, and even checking into the airline online the day before so she didn't have to print a boarding pass....the little things...

After relaxing for about an hour we headed down to Illinois St for our 6 o'clock reservation at St. Elmo's Steakhouse. It is apparently a staple restaurant here in Indianapolis and I can certainly see why. Once you walk in the whole restaurant actually appears quite small. I would liken it to one of the alley length bars in Boston. And then you get to the white light at the end of the bar, think street light from a 1930's detective show, and the hostess leads you into the recesses of the restaurant where rooms filled with diners suddenly appear. The place was PACKED!

We sat down and were immediately greeted pleasantly by our waiter with menus, glasses of water, a verbal list of the specials, and one of the most genuine Midwest smiles I had seen the entire time I was in Indianapolis. Looking over the menu everything sounded absolutely delicious. Unfortunately my Boston and New England snobbery got the better of me and I simply could not bring myself to order seafood from a place where I couldn't see the ocean. Is it me or is that weird to anyone else?

I ended up getting a steak which was absolutely FANTASTIC!! It was perfectly cooked and by the time I put my fork down I felt like I was going to either take a nap or explode from how much food I had eaten. Mary got Amish Chicken which basically ended up being a half chicken served over noodles. It looked equally as appetizing and Mary was in agreement about the tastiness of her food. 

With dinner over we exited the restaurant, which, if its even possible, was busier now than it had been when we arrive. Both of us headed back to our respective hotels completely satiated and ready for nap. We were determined to be ready for our House of Delegates Second Session and for our trip back to Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment