Well two planes and a bus later and I have finally arrived
in Indianapolis. Honestly it wasn't that bad. I ended up sleeping a bit on the
plane from Boston to Charlotte and I made it in plenty of time to catch my
connecting flight from Charlotte to Indianapolis. Not much to report about the
flight as my neighbors on the first one were both kind of grouchy but quiet and
my neighbors on the second one were asleep.
One of the really cool things about my flight from Charlotte
to Indianapolis was the fact that a lot of the people on the plane, men and
women, were coming to the same conference as me. They all had posters, laptops
with presentations, or even STTI gear (sweatshirts and t-shirts and stuff).
I've never been in such close quarters with so many nurses at one time. I was
confident that if someone started to die on the plane I could probably stay in
my seat and one of the several other nurses on board the flight would jump into
action.
Again on the bus from the airport to the hotel I was
surrounded by nurses. One who was running for a leadership position, one who
was a professor in Georgia, another who directed a hospice agency in North
Carolina, and still another who was a brand new graduate in an ER in Atlanta.
One of the coolest experiences so far is seeing just how many different nurses,
from different fields and experience levels are here. The best part about the
whole thing though is there is absolutely no sense of the lateral violence that
you often hear about with nurses, its actually quite the contrary. Everyone is
so nice and genuinely interested in what you do when you are not upending your
life and heading to Indiana to meet some of the nursing leaders from around the
globe.
I thought I was going to be really intimidated while I was
sitting on the plane, but as soon as I started talking to other nurses on the
bus all of that went away. Everyone here brings their own special set of skills
and we all have something offer to the collective group.
I guess I should get going though because the opening
plenary is about to start and I am sitting here drinking a Starbucks Iced
Coffee and blogging instead of taking my seat and being social. I will put
together another post later tonight about registration and my first few hours
exploring the convention center. I’m also going to try and put together a mini
schedule link so everyone knows what sessions I will be attending and when in
case there is anyone out there interested in sharing some ideas. Well now I’m
really running late so….Bye for now!!
No comments:
Post a Comment